Thursday, January 27, 2011

Green Ink

Somehow in my life I've managed to start designing tattoos for people. While some are intensely personal, which I would never share, the last few I've done have been a lot of fun.

One of my friends has always had a deep and abiding love for green men.  I remember our first year in grad school together, how she wrote a really fun paper about these guys.  Since we both love Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight, a story I'm dying to get my hands on someday as an illustrator, I guess it made sense that we'd do this together.  I'm embarrassed to admit how long ago she asked me to design one for her, and I was having a hard time with it. Then one day she shared a photo and the lightbulb went off for both of us.  It was from a stained glass window (in France?), and the little green man, tucked into a diamond, seemed both joyful and mischievous.   I worked two variations, a long, viney guy and a green man tucked into his original medallion and embellished with leaves.
Long green man tattoo for sienamystic.  Pen and ink. Copyright 2011 Jessica Boehman

I may like the medallion even more:
Green man medallion tattoo for sienamystic. Pen and ink. Copyright 2011 Jessica Boehman

The last tattoo here is one I did for a friend I met while teaching in Ohio. It's the largest tattoo I've ever done, and it translated beautifully into ink.

Ornate cross. Pencil. Copyright 2011 Jessica Boehman



No comments:

Post a Comment